Saturday, April 11, 2020

The Evil


Photo by Mikhail Elfimov on Unsplash


It was yet another night in the purgatory of winter, each night more frigid and monotonous than the night before. It was already past 8 PM; one more night when I was spending unnecessarily long & fruitless hours in office. I reside in the condo by myself, across the street from work; so getting home is neither challenging nor rewarding. These late hours in office give me a touch of social life, a pleasant smile with the janitor and a good-night-bye with the night-duty office guard.
As I was drafting one of my several last replies for the night, I noticed an unopened envelope in the notifications tray beside the clock in computer. It was weird I hadn’t noticed a popup in Outlook for a new email. I navigated to my inbox to identify what I had missed. There was 1 unopened email and the subject line & sender’s name grabbed my attention.
“The Evil,” both fields said. The message body only said, ‘The Evil is coming,’ in bold letters.
I was certain; it was either a prank or a scam. However, in the soundless and deserted office, it was spooky enough to raise the hair on back of my neck with fright.
I decided it was best to leave from work sooner than later. I walked to the south end of office building and twisted the shaft on window blinds to check for signs of snow. As slats on the blinds tilted, I scanned out through the slits between them; and the scene I saw in the building across the street startled me.
All the lights in my condo unit were lit. I vividly remember turning them off when I left for work in the morning. The blinds on windows in my condo were still down as I’d left them; hence it was not possible to comprehend if somebody had broken in. I made a call to the security desk of my condo, but there were no visitors on record.
The security guards were already at my door as I rushed to my condo unit from office. We waited at the door, perplexed whether to open the door. We didn’t know if the robbers were still inside and whether they had any ammunition. Also, the condo unit was now an active crime scene, as per the many crime thriller series I binged.
After waiting for a while, the security guard called the cops and they instructed us stay out until their arrival.
I was instructed to insert the key in latch, and unlock the door after the cops arrived. The cops pushed the door open and announced for the suspect to step out with hands where they can be seen.
The condo was still brightly lit, all lamps on. It was eerily silent and lifeless. However, it was evident that someone had broken-in and rummaged my residence. The doors on kitchen cabinets and refrigerator were open, and the groceries were dumped over the kitchen tiles. The dishes & kitchen towels were tossed around, and the cutlery was nowhere to be seen.
The living room was a mess as well. The cushions that usually decorate my couch were thrown on floor. The dining chairs in the den were prostrate on ground and the vase from dining table shattered. The rug under them was drenched from the water in the vase. The flowers were mercilessly torn and petals flung all over.
The television set in the living room was on, it only displayed a blue screen. The words “The Evil is coming!” were engraved in dark color using what appeared to be red lipstick, with a large smiley drawn beside it.
The drawers in my television stand were pulled out; and the robber had rummaged through my stuff in them. All my photo albums from the bottom shelf were lying on coffee table, and the creepiest thing was that the heads from all my photos were cut off.
As we entered the bedroom, my suspicion of the robber being a psychopath confirmed. All my heads cut from the photo albums hung from my bedroom ceiling. I am not the person who makes their bed after getting up; however, it seemed even shabbier than I left.
I pulled the sheets and realized that the cutlery missing from my kitchen was found on my bed. Only, the spoons and forks were thrown everywhere and the chopping knives stuck vertically in the mattress; it was evident that someone had mercilessly stabbed, without a human body in bed.
“Do you share this place with anyone? Does anybody else also have the keys to this unit?” The cop inquired.
“I live by myself. Only I & the management office have the keys.” I answered. The security guard displayed the set of keys from building management.
“Do you have any suspects? Anybody that may have the intentions to harm you?” He asked.
“None that I can think of,” I answered almost immediately. I’ve never been close enough with anyone to give them the intentions to hurt me.
“Although I did have an episode earlier.” I told them about the email from The Evil.
“We wouldn’t recommend you to stay here alone for safety reasons tonight.” He continued, “Do you have anywhere else you could spend the night? Or anyone to keep you company?”
I gave that question a pretentious thought, although I most definitely knew the answer to it. I lived alone in this city; all the inanimate objects in this condo unit were my only companions. The only people I knew were my colleagues, and I was certainly nowhere close to them to ask for company or shelter.
“No,” I nodded.
“Alright,” he turned to the security guard, “We understand your building has CCTV cameras? I need you to monitor the feeds from this unit tonight.”
“Yes sir,” The security guard almost announced his agreement.
“Also, I will need the footage from today for this unit.” The cop talked to security guard as they walked to the door. “You should spend the night elsewhere,” he said to me. “May be a hotel, if you don’t have any friends that would help.” The end of that sentence hurt.
I nodded in agreement. “Stay safe and call us if you notice anything unusual.” The cop walked out the door with security guard.
I walked out with them, “I’ll spend the night at the Inn near Union Station.” I informed them and walked out after.






The room at Inn was overpriced, like everything else in Downtown. I still took it, safety trumps finance. It was a decent bachelor studio with attached bath. I hung my coat in the closet, picked a beer can from the minibar and walked to glass wall on the other end of room.
The crackling sound from effervesce on opening the beer can was soothing. I sipped in some beer and looked out the glass at the bright city lights of Downtown in a futile attempt to forget the ransacked scene from my residence.
Despite the alcohol and the lights, I couldn’t take my mind off the words from the message in email and then on TV. It was starting to sound like someone was repeatedly saying those words in my ears, almost chanting a curse.
The Evil is coming.
The Evil is coming.
The Evil is coming.
The worst part was that the words were forming in my head and I could almost envision them being written everywhere.
Suddenly, I heard an awful maniac laugh from outside the hotel room. And then, something broke in the bathroom.
Against my better judgement, with a rush of adrenaline; I ran to the bathroom and kicked the door open. Only to stare at an empty room. However, the mirror on the wall was smashed and there was glass everywhere.
There was the same message written in blood on shower wall, The Evil Is Coming.
I ran to the phone in hotel room to contact the reception, but it was dead. I dialed the contact provided by cops from my cell phone to advise them of the latest mishap.
They asked me to ensure that the room was locked and to stay indoor until they arrived. I was screaming and hyperventilating; yet reaffirmed that I was alone in the room and that the locks were secure.
I felt the temperature in the room suddenly drop, so decided to wear my jacket to stay warm. When I opened the closet, I remembered how comfortable I’d feel to hide in the coat closet as a kid, may be an effect of movies I watched before adolescence.
I stepped in the coat closet and slid the door shut. It was pitch dark inside the closet. I froze when I felt a cold breath on back of my neck. Icy cold fingers brushed my cheek.
“The Evil is here,” the voice said.

4 comments:

shradzthebeliever said...

Wow! Super thriller Adi. It was gripping till the end. Loved it. Looking forward to read a lot more.

Aditya Arun Danait said...

Thanks Shraddha πŸ™‚πŸ™πŸ»

Jay said...

What happens after that ?? There is no closure for me.😠

Tripti Dubey said...

Wow! It was really gripping! Waiting for the next part 😁